Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Tube Back In

Today was a pretty hectic day at the NICU.  When we got there a baby was being admitted across from Matthew, and so we couldn't go in right away.  They actually thought it might be several hours before we could go in, as the room was filled with doctors and they were preparing to do a surgery.  While we were in the waiting room we met Linda and Chris, parents of a 28 weaker that has been in the NICU since July.  Their baby had surgery for NEC and apparently hasn't tolerated breast milk since he was born.  Pretty scary.  We saw them a little later on in the hallway outside of their room, room 2 (the step down room for babies coming from rooms 3 and 4, where Matthew is).  Linda was crying, and it seemed like it might be tears of happiness.  The dad, Chris, didn't look too upset and the  nurse was laughing a little.  Maybe today was the day their little one was finally able to tolerate breast milk.....


The Good

They removed Matthew's umbilical line, as when they reintubated him they noticed it was a little out of place.  Rather than fussing with it, they took it out and he now has an IV in his foot.  He is up again on his feedings - 9cc every 2 hours.  Hopefully tomorrow they can take it up to 10 or even to a full feed and get rid of the IV in his foot.  No one wants to be fed through their feet first.

I had asked about Kangaroo care, and Orly said we could do it today which was an unexpected but happy surprise.  I didn't even have a shirt with me to do it, so I bought a fleece at the hospital store because I was afraid the hoodie I wore had too many germs on it.  Then I was afraid the fleece had germs because I hadn't washed it yet.  So I wore a hospital gown, and then put some blankets and the fleece over it.  The whole thing took a little bit to get it coordinated with the hustle and bustle around the new arrival in the NICU.  Also, I guess Orly didn't realize Matthew was still in humidity.  But they decided to give it a whirl anyway.  He seemed to really like it.  He didn't fuss or protest at all, and seemed to get really comfortable right away.  I was afraid to move too much, or touch him too much, so I tried to stay as still as I could and sing to him.  Matthew definitely likes to be sung to - he always sats higher when I am singing.  Assuming we are allowed to, I'l definitely be doing as much Kangaroo as I can.


The Bad

Matthew stayed extubated until this morning, when Orly decided he was working too much and would get too tired.  So they reintubated him.  Unfortunately we didn't even get to see his little mouth before that happened.  Hopefully in a week or so they will feel he is up to trying again.

They had to raise his gas levels after the reintubation as he was given some medication which sedated him.  Hopefully tomorrow he can get back on track.


The Ugly

No ugly for today.  Again, fingers remain crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment