The Good
Matthew seemed to be sat-ing better today than yesterday, by a little bit. That may be the result of the transfusion. Lynn said his murmur was much less noticeable today. Matthew is also up to 16cc for his feeds now. He had a pretty quiet day, which puts him in the "good" column.
Sean got his first opportunity to do kangaroo with Matthew (sorry the quality isn't great - it turns out I had some schmutz on the lens). I am hoping either tomorrow or the day after will bring my throat issue to a close and I can do kangaroo again too.
We have filled up our two drawers of milk for Matthew at the NICU, so we shall start freezing some milk at home now. I put this as a Good as I assume it is a good problem to have.
The Bad
Matthew's chest x-ray didn't look as good as we hoped after the diuretic Lasik, so we are holding off on extubation. Unfortunately the vent can cause damage to the lungs. As our doctor said today,
Rule #1 - Vents help babies. Rule #2 - Vents hurt babies." The doctors really want to avoid another intubation so I think they are being cautious and deliberate. They are going to keep giving Matthew Lasik for a day or so, and then perhaps give him a less strong one after that which goes through his feeding tube (Lasik goes in an IV in his hand). He will continue to get the chest massages. Unfortunately the diuretic also means his weight goes down as the fluids are coming out, so he is down a few ounces.
While Matthew doesn't have a PDA, the cardiologist did notice some small openings between the atria and the ventricles. We haven't gotten a chance to talk with the cardiologists yet regarding this.
The Ugly
Nothing Ugly today - fingers crossed we keep it that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment