Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Beef Up

Today was a pretty typical day.  It was pretty hectic in the NICU, but luckily not because of Matthew.  Parking was a little frustrating as the entire garage was full.  I was about to try to talk my way into parking on the Smilow Cancer level by playing the NICU card, but then I found and stalked a nurse back to his car and was able to take his spot.

I wimped out of kangaroo care today.  Just when I think I am OK, I start to cough or sneeze.  Lynn said today that if I need a cough drop, maybe hold off.  So just in case I did.  We shall see how I feel tomorrow....


The Good

Matthew is continuing to tolerate his foods.  He went up to 17cc of food today still every 2 hours.  They also put him on oral Lasik to see if that helps his breathing.  He had a pretty stable day regarding the oxygen, which I attribute to Lynn being with him today!  She is gone until Friday so I hope Matthew is OK.

We also confirmed that Matthew does not have SCID, which he flagged for on the newborn screening.  While it has a high false positive for preemies, I was still nervous about it because it is pretty serious.  Matt, the resident, said it is "extremely rare."  I said, is it more rare than 3MCC? Because that's like 1 in 60,000  - we are the king and queen of rare.  Well, further testing confirmed that he is clear from allergy and immunology, which was a big sigh of relief.  Though I will say, Matt last night started with, "Did anyone talk to you about the TRAC (SCID) results?"  I was like, "Um no, does he have it????"  He said, "No he is clear."  Maybe next time lead with that....


The Bad

Matthew was up and down on the oxygen today, but nothing too terrible.  He has his periods where he is content and his periods where he is not.

His weight is still up and down.  It seems they want to see him gain weight more consistently, and make sure it is not water weight.  He eats a lot so I'm not sure where else it would be going.  Lynn and I both thought he looked pretty beefy today.  You can judge yourself from the picture.


The Ugly

No Ugly for today - fingers crossed it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment