Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Give me an "M"

M - for Mastitis.  Last night I started developing some pain on my left "side" and had a low grade fever and the chills.  Within about three hours that fever progressed to 103.8.  I was pretty certain it was mastitis.  I went to Longwharf today and they confirmed it (they said, this is the "textbook case of mastitis" - I had been hoping they could have called in the Rx for antibiotics in the morning, but unfortunately I had to trek up to Yale for the official diagnosis).    When I went my temp was down to the 99s, but then went back up to 102 in the late afternoon.  I am now hovering around 100.  They said that if the fever continues, or the chills continue, I have to be admitted to the hospital for an IV of antibiotics.  Hopefully by tomorrow it clears a little, and I don't need to be admitted.  It also sucks because I couldn't go see Matthew today (It shouldn't be contagious but I am pretty run down.  Essentially you feel like you have the flu).  This is the first day that I wasn't with Matthew, which really sucks, and likely I won't be going there tomorrow either :(  So not only don't I get to kangaroo, but I don't even get to see him!


The Good

Matthew has been on a three day dose of Lasik, and today is the second day.  He seems to be responding to it as he peed a lot today.  He also had a pretty stable day today and was between room air and 24%.  Michelle, his nurse today, said he was pretty alert.  I am hoping he gets more alert as that might help him get off the vent.  He has continued to tolerate the feeds well, which we hope will continue.


The Bad

Matthew's weight was down a little bit due to the Lasik and will likely be down again tonight as he peed a lot today.  The doctors don't seem concerned yet over the weight, but hopefully they talk about it at rounds tomorrow just to be sure they are OK.  More weight gain (not water weight) will help him to get off the vent...


The Ugly

No ugly for Matthew today - fingers crossed it stays that way

No comments:

Post a Comment