Friday, December 4, 2015

Big Day

I was able to get up to Yale to see Matthew this afternoon, and Lynn was back today!  I am fever free (knock on wood) so hopefully it stays that way.  Sean came by after taking Indiana for her therapy swimming, and after taking Cagney to the vet for his broken nail (as Lynn said, our house is falling apart.  I thought it safest to get out for the day)


The Good

The biggest news today - Matthew was extubated!  Dr. Gozzo did a pressure test this morning, and when I called in at 11am Lynn said he had been going strong for 2 hours.  By the time I got to Yale, she had extubated him (at noon).  It was hectic when I got there as there was a new arrival in Alexander's spot (the twin that was previously there was moved to the other end of the room to be next to his brother) and Lynn was busy with another baby at the time.  I came in and saw him with the NIPS tube, and started tearing up.  He was on 29% oxygen, but over the afternoon it came down to 27, then when we called later it was 23, then 21/room air.  He still has his desats, but right now he comes out of them himself a lot, and if not he gets some more oxygen.  He even tolerated the little vibrator massage in the afternoon pretty well, and the respiratory person said his lungs sounded good (she said it sounded like air whirring around, which is good).

The NIPS tube provides both pressure and breaths when Matthew forgets.  He slobbers a lot right now because he doesn't really know how to swallow.  He yawned and opened his mouth a few times to the point where you could see his little tongue!  His voice is still hoarse from the vent, so I have not yet heard any cries from him (Sean thinks he heard some sounds from him, but I have yet to confirm anything!)

Per his usual, Matthew did giant poops for the night nurses.  When I change his diaper during the day there is a tiny amount of poo, if there is any.  He stocks up for nighttime and explodes - usually outside the diaper and often requiring a sheet change.


The Bad

Matthew was down an ounce - he was up an ounce surprisingly yesterday, so likely this was a delayed result from the Lasik.  Hopefully now that he is on the gentler diuretics he more steadily gains weight.  Obviously our fingers are also crossed that he is able to stay extubated this time.


The Ugly

No Ugly for today - fingers crossed it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment